Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What are we paying for?

Before I get to that; a pre-ramble.

I have just realized; all that mugging up of the"oh-so-historic-preeminent" plays and poetry in our early days of education, does not come to a total waste. Well, as they say, education is "preparing the child for the future".

So when I looked around at the people at home today, I realized I was literally staring at three stages of life at the same time. Stages as in the(recalling from the past : english lesson in standard VI)  "Seven stages of life" by William Shakespeare. There they were, my parents in their late forties; my grandparents; and I.


William Shakespeare

...And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow....
.
.
And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lin'd,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part...
.
.
.
.....Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness and mere oblivion;
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything."

*****
And now, jumping to the title .

This part of the post is called "Education : a total waste".

For the 456th time I saw the ad again. "Buy 1 get 1 free" placed on top of some 2l coke bottles. And sure enough there's a rise in purchase.

If people out there realized that soft-drinks can take a toll on their health, I guess there would surely be a drastic decline in the obesity cases ; a huge decrease in kidney failures and you'd probably have better looking teeth than those half-corroded, yellow ones.

Getting a 2-litre soft-drink for half the price can seem to be the best bet, but is it?

A majority of those who feed on this very well know the hazards too. Maybe some things taste good just because it's bad for you?

No comments: