Sunday, March 20, 2011

Luncheon of the Boating Party

Pierre Auguste Renoir ( 1841-1919 ) was a French impressionist painter. As a child he worked in a porcelain factory in Paris, painting designs on china. However at the age of 17, he copied paintings on fans, lamp shades, and blinds. 

I can almost hear the chitter-chatter, the ethereal wind; the painting seems almost alive. The first thing that caught my eye was the lady at the table, holding a dog, Renoir's future wife, Aline Charigot. The painting depicts a group of Renoir's friends relaxing on a balcony at the Maison Fournaise along the Seine river in Chatou, France. The painter and art patron, Gustave Caillebotte, is seated in the lower right.



The luncheon of the boating party, 1880-1881
 
My poetry for today.

The silver teeth tickled remnants on the plate
the sticky crumbs and preserve, noisy as it takes,
a journey, again, the bearer to its taste.
like an uncorked bottle, spirited
they were, mouthful of gossips and french toasts, buttered. 
content were all, happy as the furry tail
wagging in delight, even the dog had a tale.

13 comments:

Merisi said...

I used to gaze at this beautiful - and very large - painting a fair while, each time I visited the Phillips Collection in Washington DC. It is so much more beautiful than any reproduction could ever reveal.

Thank you for the sweet memories your posting of this painting evoked,
Merisi

lines n shades said...

thank you for visiting Merisi :)

true..it's one of the classic treasures in history of time.

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

I love this painting very much. I would love a replica in my home. It makes me want to join them and ENJOY life over lunch, good conversation and a lovely bottle of wine.

lines n shades said...

i did have that thought too. a wish to have a replica in my room.

nice to have you here. be around :)

Vicki Lane said...

Such a charming painting -- it does, indeed, tell a story. I love the ending of your lovely poem.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Come back soon!

lines n shades said...

thank you Vicki Lane :)

Marion Williams-Bennett said...

I've always loved this painting for it's energy and it's life. Reading your description of it, the "sound" of the painting came to life for me! It was wonderful!

I also enjoyed the pairing of the painting and the poem. Lovely post!

lines n shades said...

glad you liked it Marion :) thank you.

happy to have you here.

Joan said...

I enjoyed your post and went looking for more. I like the ending of your poem. and the poem expresses the Renoir so well. Thank you for visiting me. See you again!

Janice said...

I've always been a Renoir fan, and this particular painting is a favorite of mine. Your accompanying poem was very nice, as well.

lines n shades said...

@Joan - thank you for the lovely comment. Glad you stopped by :)... do come again.

@ Janice - Nice to have you here :)
Feels great to know someone with similar interest. Be around.

juliet said...

Nice to discover your blog, and thanks for visiting mine and leaving a comment. This painting is an old friend, and it leaves me feeling happy. Thank you for drawing me to it, and for your poem too.

lines n shades said...

hi juliet :) happy to see you here..