Thursday, April 21, 2011

Scent of memory

traces of white dust
scented the path of
my fate lines.
memories gauged
the days of yore;
the tender white,
pierced by
dimples, welling into
lavender scents.
reality fades to distant
years, in my grasp,
no more.
moments take me back
to places; and I
live in the mind's eye.

( written on 12/4/'11 )


There is always a yardley talc at home. It's English lavender, most of the time. It's not really a cherished favorite of mine, but the scents do instigate memories. From the days of pinafore, of rushing to school till now.

****

There are words I want to say. But seconds fail to give me that space. I just moved to a new house. A new surrounding. A new beginning, perhaps. But I do wish it doesn't remain ' new ' for long.

8 comments:

The Unknowngnome said...

Wishing you the best in your new house. Maybe you'll have a new scent more to your favoring too.

A nice reminiscent write.

lines n shades said...

@ The Unknowngnome - thank you so much for your wishes :)

Liza Ursu said...

But I do wish it doesn't remain ' new ' for long.

I know that feeling.
All the best in your new home.

Shrinky said...

Plant something fragrant by your new front door - Jasmine or Honeysuckle perhaps - the scent will remind you of there too, in years to come.. but maybe a little lavender bush by the back door too wouldn't go amiss (wink). Time sometimes flies too fast, doesn't it?

Patty said...

Happy new home. Once things all get settled and fall into place, it will seem more like your home.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

I could hardly believe your mention of yardley talc. I have not smelled its scent in many years. My mother, now passed, used it all the time when I was a girl. I'm sure such a scent reminder would swirl me into dusty memories such as your beautiful poem whispers. -- barbara

Vicki Lane said...

Scent is so evocative -- and lavender is one of my favorites.

When your new home ceases to smell unfamiliar, then you'll be truly home.

Rose said...

Your new house will soon be home to you when it is filled with the people and things you love. A house is just a house without love:) May it become home to you soon. Good luck!