Sunday, May 29, 2011

In a Garden


There is a long queue. With their thin legs, black ants hustled ahead, like frenzied shoppers in a busy street. Beside these groups of foragers, I lived my moments of vivid enthrallment. With dirt between finger-nails, I dug palm deep, into wet ground. We both ( mother and I ) held our breath while I delicately transferred a plant from its pot.

I loved it. Carefully holding the naked plant, taking a moment to admire the passel of mud coated roots and handsome little dirty bulbs; in the end there is a sense of contentment to get as dirty as the ground. 





I recently surrendered to my liking for gardening. I realised how well it works, for the mind and general being. These are a few pictures I took this week. Of memories where both the plants and I learned to smile and grow.







" No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden. "

~Hugh Johnson

6 comments:

Desiree said...

What a delightful post! Poignant, sweet, full of love and joy :) Your yellow & white lantanas are so pretty and the double white flower looks like a gardenia variety, if I'm not mistaken. It should have a wonderful perfume, if it is!

Birdie said...

I love looking at other people's gardens. Thanks!

The Unknowngnome said...

A beautiful post, beautiful plants. Indeed, it one does grab a sense of contentment in being as dirty as the ground.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Your words are written like delicate petals matching your beautiful flower photos -- barbara

a peony princess said...

I'm so happy that you left me a comment so that I could come and find you!

What a pretty, understated blog you have. You have such a way with words. Just beautiful.

I will be back!

xo Trish

Vicki Lane said...

Lovely pictures, especially the middle one! And I love today's post about the sea.