Monday, June 20, 2011

The Dads

I learned to make a snowman out of cotton. I learned to make a windmill; eventually the first I had ever seen.  It started in those days, and it has been going on, ever since..

But among the lot ( of best moments ),
I look back to the days when we both went for long rides in our hometown.
We spent many such evenings, sometimes he
would ride by his
old school, tell me stories of his childhood and teachers.
Somehow, deep within, I have always felt living there was best when there was dad around,
it made the place feel more like home, for everything in and about
it has been a part of his life. And he talks more about his life ( something he rarely does ) when
he is in our hometown.

I continue to admire and love his simple heart. And yes, he has always been there for me.
. . . . . . . .

" Commodore Kundankali once called me and said, "Chief, what wonderful handwriting you have !". Such comments to have come from him, oh it felt so good. Now, see my hands?...."

He held out his right hand; aged to a near 90, with visible tremor.

" I can barely write letters now."

Grandfather has never been idle. From the day I have known him till
recently, he has been busy making walking sticks, clocks, polishing furniture,
remodelling things, writing letters, all out of the leisure time in his life. Today, there are a few things he can't do by himself, unlike his mind, which somehow hasn't aged.
He has a wonderful life story. And every moment of his life's past is now almost an occassion
in his memory. He still talks of the car he drove in Germany,
of how he lost his way in Rome,
the farm he went to, the milkcan he bought ( all of these, nearly 60 years ago )... he remembers every detail;
he's the best narrator I've listened
to in my life.

One thing he has often stressed, " Always be happy. " 

3 comments:

Birdie said...

I think it is wonderful that you have such a great legacy.

I loved listening to my grandparents stories. I miss that. Write them down!

Heather Henry said...

Fantastic stories and memories. How wonderful to have those to pass down and to keep for yourself.
I agree, " Always be happy."

Desiree said...

Such a beautiful tribute to a much loved grandfather!